Thursday, May 14, 2015

Easter 7 B - 1 John 5:9-13

1 John 5:9-13
The trouble I have with texts like this is that they sound a lot like human testimony. There are those who are in and those who are out (eternally no less) based on what they believe. I wouldn't have so much trouble with that if God hadn't given the password to paradise to a human institution that can be bound to human testimony so far removed from what God is about as to be demonic. Can we say the Spanish Inquisition? Don’t get me wrong. I've bet my life on the testimony into which I was baptized. But if the testimony of God does not come to us except through the filter of the human institution we have to find ways to filter the human institution out of the testimony of God. That is why “we preach Christ crucified” (1 Corinthians 1:23) for if for the sake of love God gave up life I hope and pray that God won’t give up any life for the sake of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment