Monday, August 13, 2012

Pentecost 12b - Proverbs 9:1-6

Proverbs 9:1-6
Wisdom called to me and invited me in for a body works plus abs class at the West 7th Street LA Fitness (where the pretty people work out). I was the only man in the class and as far as I could tell a good deal older than everyone else as well. Now I’m blogging from Bar Louie where the Calvary Flash Mob will be meeting for an evening of “ask the pastor”. So it’s an afternoon and evening of working out the body and the mind and hopefully walking in the way of insight.  Wisdom is a feminine noun in Hebrew and what she offers, along with wine and bread and roasted meat, is order. The book of Proverbs is dedicated to the premise that the world is ordered along predictable paths and Wisdom knows the rules for living that will make life follow the rules. The book of Ecclesiastes begs to differ and calls that sort of wisdom "vanities of vanities" (btw if you ask this pastor I prefer Qoheleth over Wisdom) but that is a pericope for a different day. So let’s just say that laying aside immaturity, even when the world is not orderly and predictable, is a good thing and leads one to live through less than predicable times in a more orderly fashion. Which is to say a more faithful way – and on that I believe Qoheleth and Wisdom would agree.

No comments:

Post a Comment