Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Epiphany 3b - 1 Corinthians 7:29-31

1 Corinthians 7:29-31
If the appointed time has grown short the present form of this world is taking its sweet time passing away. That’s not to say we can’t live each day as if it were the last – not a bad way to live as it means we are more fully present in the present – but truth is Paul was wrong about the timing of Jesus’ return. Some might say that calls the whole work into question but I prefer my apostles to be as human as I am and I know the only truly accurate foresight I have is from the perspective of hindsight. So I’m going to say “no” to living as if I had no wife and I think Lisa would agree with me rather than the less than perfect apostle Paul. And in the week that began with the anniversary of Lisa’s brother Jeff taking his life (1/15/09) feeling badly about a tragic loss is not optional. I’m going to rejoice in a good friend who helps make ends meet and even though insurance did most of the buying I’m glad for a truck with tires. All that being said and trying to be true to Paul’s intent he does say to live “as if” which means we are free to live more fully into a life with those we pledge to love and mourn without despair and rejoice without needing cause and not place undue value in possessions for when Jesus broke free from the tomb the present form of the world did indeed pass away. That is good news for you and for me and for Jeff and all those whose hindsight is the foresight of the eternal future.

No comments:

Post a Comment