Monday, January 31, 2011

Epiphnay 5a - Isaiah 58:1-12

Oh my. How is it that the church throughout the ages has sought to draw near to God while neglecting those who fast because they cannot afford food? I don’t know about the whole church but it is not generally in the Lutheran nature to make a fuss, but a fuss is what the Lord requires when Jacob’s sins are more than personal. Shout out! Do not hold back! I will confess that I am a Lutheran Libertarian at heart. I have chickens and a miniature horse in my backyard for God’s sake. I don’t want anyone to tell me what I can and cannot do on my own property and I always vote the candidate who promises whatever is closest to what I want. Truth is you do as well. But how do we balance self interest with what God requires which is the interest in the well being of others, especially the naked, the oppressed, the homeless, the hungry? I didn’t write this. The prophet Isaiah did.  I’m just hopeful that at this late hour the Lord appreciates my nagging conscience trying to put these words into to practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment