Friday, March 19, 2010

Lent 5c - Conclusion

Isaiah 43:16-21; Psalm 126; Philippians 3:4-14; John 12:1-8
I have a weather app on my pc. (app, short for application, is a word Apple applies to gotta have gadgets which nickel and dime you to death) My weather app has alerts which are never good news for my zip code which means never good news for me. The not good news for me is that winter, which is never welcome, is coming back for a weekend visit. Surprise! The lessons for Lent 5c are full of surprises where never good news becomes forever good news. Isaiah speaking for God proclaims a new thing for those who are living former things they cannot forget. The psalmist waking from a dream prays for the dream come true where seeds sown in sorrow will reap joy. Paul rejects a pedigree that would make a Pharisee proud to be joined to the suffering of Christ and know the power of his resurrection. And finally the Gospel of John recalls a dinner party for dead men; one recently raised who will live forever because the other soon to die won’t stay dead. The bad news / good news of Lent 5c is that former things are temporary and good things are eternal. So too, I hope and pray, a weekend of winter in Fort Worth, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment