Friday, January 1, 2010

Bonus Track - April 2008 newsletter from my last ankle injury



A few weeks ago I injured the peroneal tendon in my right foot and had to stop running and playing racquetball. To keep in shape and ensure a steady supply of endorphins, I endured the tedium of the stationary bike while my tendon healed. Runners hate stationary bikes because they don’t go anywhere. At least the treadmill makes an effort and if it weren’t bolted to the floor it might actually burn some rubber, but to have to sit and peddle and watch Good Morning America was more than enough motivation to make sure this never happens again. This brings me to the current conflict in my new found fitness life.

As you might remember from a previous newsletter I am now a sports shoe junkie because each sport requires a different shoe to protect you from injuries to things like your peroneal tendon. (Who knew?) So the question is this: Which shoe is to blame for my injury and does this mean I have to go online and buy some new shoes? (Yes, please.)

My ASICS GT-2130s with the IGS (internal guidance system) DuoMax Support System and PHF (Personal Heel Fit) claim that the injury must have happened on the Racquetball court. My Adidas Court Stabil 2’s with the adiPRENE insert providing forefoot propulsion efficiency and protection from harmful impact forces claims it was the downhill run later that same day that caused the injury.

I’m not sure which is to blame, but I believe it is time to get some new shoes. (Oh yes! Yes! YES!) Unfortunately, Lisa, love of my life, says my injury was due to user error and until the user gets smarter and remembers he’s 51 not 15, the shoes shall remain the same.

You have delivered me from death and my feet from stumbling, that I may walk before God in the light of life. Psalm 56:13

The fragrance of Easter Lilies still fills the sanctuary with sweet perfume and one can almost hear the strains of organ and orchestra and voices lifted in praise singing, Jesus Christ is Risen Today! We have heard from many of you that the experience of the Paschal Triduum, The Great Three Days, with the addition of the Easter Vigil (Thanks to Intern Pastor Megan for bringing that to us) culminating in the joyful celebration of death’s defeat by the crucified and risen One, was a life renewing resurrection. For that we praise God.

So now what? How do we extend The Great Three Day movement from death to resurrection in our everyday? I think it is embracing both words spoken to you this Lent as you were marked with the cross, first with ashes on Ash Wednesday – Remember you are dust and to dust you shall return and then with oil on Maundy Thursday You have been sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked with the cross of Christ forever.

“Remember you are dust” acknowledges the reality of our flesh destined to decay and die so that we do not think of ourselves more highly than we ought and presume that we can save ourselves. However without the second statement the first would lead only to despair. That we have been sealed by the Holy Spirit and marked with the cross of Christ means the destiny of our flesh has been overcome for Christ has indeed delivered us from death and our feet from stumbling that we might walk in the light of new life. Or in other words, Jesus more than makes up for user error.



No comments:

Post a Comment